Scare your neighbors with a spooky Halloween network name

Scare your neighbors with a spooky Halloween network name







Earlier today, Ars IT editor Sean Gallagher was doing some scary things with wireless when he discovered someone probing for a Wi-Fi network with a name that appeared to be something un-parseable. I theorized that it was actually something in Unicode that Wireshark wasn’t parsing properly. “So someone has a Unicode SSID?” Gallagher asked, incredulous.

I was inspired. I wanted a Unicode SSID—one that could match the season and give my network name a seasonal gothic flare. So I set out to see if I could do it with my own Wi-Fi network. While I was successful, the effect may be lost on Windows users and others on devices that can’t handle Unicode characters in their wireless network name. And as Gallagher determined, it doesn’t work on all Wi-Fi networking hardware.

The tools

Unicode has some fun characters that can be used to generate a spooky SSID, but it can be difficult to type these characters using a traditional keyboard. After some digging around, I found the excellent Unicode Text Converter. This page allows you to enter a simple string and get back a variety of clever representations.

1 comment: